我们常能在英文社区看到 coding ceremory 一词,或译为 代码的仪式。Stack Overflow 上有个问题 What does “low ceremony” mean?,作者曾如此提问:

In the Trac Main Features page https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracFeatures , Trac is said to emphasize “ease of use and low ceremony”. Can someone please explain what “ceremony” means in the context of software usage?

low ceremony 与 ease of use 作并列短语,可见在程序开发的语境下,代码的仪式不是一个褒义词——过多的仪式并没有好处。用户 Rowan Freeman 则作此回答:

Low ceremony means a small amount of code to achieve something. It means you don’t need to set up a lot of things in order to get going.




依照呈现的形式,代码的仪式可以分为 编写仪式 和 运行仪式 两类。

Read More

Building Electron From Scratch

Last night I started off a journey to build Electron entirely from the ground up, for investigating an issue in VSCode.

Read More


前段时间在 V2EX 的一个帖子 /t/943948 中看到了一个有趣的问题:



Read More

Some Notes on Kotlin Coroutines

This post is written to dictate some opinionated explanation that dispels my confusion to Kotlin coroutines during learning.

Read More

Git sparse-checkout and partial clones for Mega-Repos

Recently I was planning to make a small contribution to project DefinitelyTyped/DefinitelyTyped. It is a huge repository that hosts and provides the type declaration files for thousands of packages on npm, with a structure like the following

├── 11ty__eleventy-img
├── 1line-aa
├── 3box
├── ...and more of them...

Each sub-folder under the types/ directory corresponds to a specific npm package.

The package I am interested in is marked, whose type declaration files reside in types/marked/ directory. Towards this end, cloning the whole repository and doing a full checkout is considered worthless, since my disk space and network traffic would be eaten up by a bunch of irrelevant files.

Read More



粗略地说,“封建”至少有四种释义,即古代中国的封建制度、古代欧洲的 Feudalism、近现代中国与 Feudalism 的对译,以及当代民间语境中的封建。

Read More

Diving from the CUDA Error 804 into a bug of libnvidia-container

Several users reported to encounter "Error 804: forward compatibility was attempted on non supported HW" during the usage of some customized PyTorch docker images on our GPU cluster.

At first glance I recognized the culprit to be a version mismatch between installed driver on the host and required driver in the image. The corrupted images as they described were built targeting CUDA == 11.3 with a corresponding driver version == 465 , while some of our hosts are shipped with driver version 460. As a solution I told them to downgrade the targeting CUDA version by choosing a base image such as nvidia/cuda:11.2.0-devel-ubuntu18.04, which indeed well solved the problem.

But later on I suspected the above hypothesis being the real cause. An observed counterexample was that another line of docker images targeting even higher CUDA version would run normally on those hosts, for example, the latest ghcr.io/pytorch/pytorch:2.0.0-devel built for CUDA == 11.7. This won’t be the case if CUDA version mismatch truly matters.

Afterwards I did a bit of research concerning the problem and learnt some interesting stuff which this post is going to share. In short, the recently released minor version compatibility allows applications built for newer CUDA to run on machines with some older drivers, but libnvidia-container doesn’t correcly handle it due to a bug and eventually leads to such an error.

Towards thorough comprehension, this post will first introduce the constitution of CUDA components, following with the compatibility policy of different components, and finally unravel the bug and devise a workaround for it. But before diving deep, I’ll give two Dockerfile samples to illustrate the problem.

Read More

Modern Cryptography, GPG and Integration with Git(hub)

GPG (the GNU Privacy Guard) is a complete and free implementation of the OpenPGP standard. Based on various mature algorithms to select from, GPG acts as a convenient tool for daily cryptographic communication.

GPG has two primary functionalities: (1) it encrypts and signs your data for secure transfering and verifiable information integrity, and (2) it features a versatile key management system to construct and promote web of trust. GPG also has a well-designed command line interface for easy integration with other applications such as git.

This article is going to briefly elaborate some key concepts and usage of GPG, and then present demonstration to cryptographically sign git commits with the help of GPG.

Read More

Move the Root Partition of Ubuntu

Some days ago, I made the decision to shrink the footprint of Windows system on my laptop and reallocate the disk space to the Ubuntu system that resides next to it. Ubuntu is competent for my daily use of programming and web browsing so I hardly launched the OEM-shipped Windows since the laptop was bought. The Windows takes up a not-so-small portion of my SSD space, which can be better utilized instead of wasted in vain.

| --- Windows C: (256 GB) --- | --- Ubuntu / (256 GB) --- |
| --- Windows C: (120 GB) --- | --- Ubuntu / (392 GB) --- |

Read More

A New Programmer Kicks a Roadblock

The time I composed my first program can be back to my junior high school age. It was the first day of PC lesson, and everybody crowded to the computer classroom. We were told to learn “programming” there. The kids who were talented would be selected and trained for OI . Others instead would go to an ordinary class and learn something more general.

I was anxious. Before the time I had no concept of what “programming” is, nor had I ever gone through a real PC lesson. The PC lesson in my primary school barely taught anything. Over the time the teachers let us play games instead. I could type merely a dozen of characters per minute, since I’d never received a thorough typing training. I was ignorant of inside the metal box. I was a complete computer idiot.

Read More